Sunday, December 19, 2010

Reverb10 - Prompt for December 2 - Writing

Writing. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it? 

Much more could be said about how Facebook has changed the way I communicate with friends.  At first glance, it all contributes to writing.

Zynga Games became an obsession.  Mafia Wars was the first one I detached from, and it wasn't easy.  How do you let go of fantasy wealth, billions of dollars a day accumulating whether you play or not?  Then I noticed teams of high tech players had organized. Just by making a play and drawing attention to myself, I would be attacked hundreds of times in one second.  Someone had discovered a secret unavailable to me.  

I also noticed that in my relatively small Mafia Family of 76 players only three were active.  I got out, and removed the application from my account.  I had my wife look at it from her account a couple of months later.  My character name was still in play, but I was anonymous.

I'm still active in FarmVille.  The same obsessive detachment issues apply. I have active farming neighbors.  Not as many social, ethical identity conflicts plague me as in Mafia Wars.  

I just started playing a new game CityVille.  The start of a game is a pleasurable challenge.

I have discipline and a priority method for dealing with communications of any kind, whether Facebook, email, or phone calls.  This morning, I had been away from the pc for more than 48 hours. None of my highest priorities suffered.

No comments: