Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Reverb10 - One Way to Summarize 2010

Thanks go to my daughter for providing a link to Reverb10 in her blog a few days ago. I made the commitment this morning, but I spent a lot of time yesterday preparing for it. Refreshing my Twitter account was the final step this morning.

The header #Reverb10 says "Reflect on this year & manifest what's next". "See what comes next" has been an ongoing theme for me for at least ten years. I have retired at least three times during that period. "Laugh when you say 'retired'" is another theme. The process I follow is Plan, act, and reflect. Sometimes I need a reminder like Reverb10.

As I dug into Reverb10 yesterday, I noticed not very many participants, thousands already, have posted comments. Maybe that's because I hadn't committed myself. I'll go back and see what opened up.

The prompt for December 1st wants one word to summarize the year 2010. Someone said, "catchup". Cute, and that's what I have to do, catch up on fifteen days of prompts.

This morning the word I chose is "One". Too easy? No, it's profound. Yesterday I would have chosen the word "creativity". Today's December 15 prompt has author Patti Digh saying "Creative is a verb: If you're alive, you're creative." The assignment for today is tougher, I may take another fifteen days to imagine it.

Why "One"? On the first page of my January 2010 handwritten journal, I quoted a Baha'i Prayer. My highest level goal for the year was to focus on God. If you know anything about the Baha'i Faith, you should remember the word "unity". The highest level principle; God is One. Divine Unity. "Creative": The Primal Point; all creation proceeds from a single point.

As soon as I stated that goal, another theme for the year developed, estrangement in the community. Estrangement infected me personally, and every aspect of my community, local to global.

When I write my summaries of 2010, and there will be several, I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life. How can I not mention earthquakes? I avoid partisanship like the plague, but I engage the political process. How can I not be infected by the process?

I saved the link to Reverb10 to the end. You may lose this page when you click it.

http://www.reverb10.com/the-prompts/

1 comment:

Sarah Nicolas said...

Welcome to #reverb10! We're glad to have you. Thanks for sharing :-)